Sunday, December 29, 2013

Hanging out



Got you, didn't I?  You didn't think it would re a picture of someone actually hanging!

We've been wanting to clean the green mold off the bottom of the spreaders since we got the boat.   I'm always saying, just send me up in the bosun's chair and I'll do it.

The day came for that, we were all set with the chair and the hose and the bucket and I acted a little hesitant ("acted").

Tom immediately volunteered.  And this is him "hanging out" from the main halyard, with me at the winch to get him up.   

Doesn't he look like superman in the the top picture?




I've found a great place to go for walks, across the main road from here and alongside the inland river/marsh.  Lots of lovely big trees and open space.


One time, I sneaked up behind a tree and got to watch the bird below.  He had a downward curved bill at least 8 inches long.  I took a picture with my phone camera.   This is a cropped, blow-up of that.

I went back later with my better camera and he wasn't there.   Will always take my camera in future, in case. 

I believe he is a glossy ibis.



Okay, now the other "hanging out" part:    We are here in Beaufort SC at a very nice marina, waiting to see who will take responsibility for our new transmission going bad.   The people that make this decision are off work until after the new year.   No matter who takes responsibility, the transmission we need will likely be just leaving on a boat from Italy to come here, not arriving until February.   If it's on that boat, it won't be available for being shipped by airmail.    Our only alternative is to have a different motor, already attached to a transmission installed in the boat, then just take money or suffer when the new transmission does arrive.     Right now, now matter, we just have to  "hang out."

Streaming lots of movies, meeting some very nice fellow boaters.   Today will be playing cards with a couple that just came in last night, heading south.   After looking around here, they have decided to stay through the new year and are hoping we'll all rent a car and check out the surrounding area.    All is well.

2 comments:

Mom said...

OMG, please tell me you got my son down OK! Sounds like fun today. I am playing cards this afternoon, too! Thank you for the pictures, I think, haha. Glad to hear from you again!

Judi said...

Happy New Year, Nancy and Tom. Sounds like you are making the best of your shutdown. Might as well enjoy where you are, right?
Judi