Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Waves and Tides, II


A video in the last post took so much download speed that I wasn't allowed to add any copy without jamming up the post.  So I'll try to remember the pictures and say something about them..

Most of them are of an 8 a.m. tour with a ranger of the tide pools in an Oregon state park just south of Sunset Bay where we camped for two nights.    I was amazed to see and hear about the 23 types of plants and algae growing on a wet rock at the beginning of the tour.   It got better and  better after we climbed out over some big rocks to some clear tidal pools.  There we saw more colorful thinkgs like the sea anemomes, starfish, and more colorful thlings I' ve forgotten the names of.  It was lovely watching a huge field of ball kelp floating, rising and dipping in the waves.  I have a great video of that, but it is too hard to upload to the blog.  

I did take the time to upload a video of the seals and sea lions off the point here.   There were hundreds, covering every rock out in the water within our sight.    There were four kinds, with the noisiest being the brown sea lions up from California.

Two of the pictures are of the beach area at Thunder Rock south of Gold Beach where we spent a week.   We hiked down to the beach and spent an hour sunning.  It got too hot and sunny, so we started back up and noticed the waterfall from a creek above falling just onto the beach.  Very pretty and such a fun place to rinse the sand off our feet.    There's also a picture of me trying the water and finding it too cold to go in to.

I wanted to show us sitting down to the 12 oysters that Tom shucked (his/our first time).   Twas fun to eat them raw on the shell, doubly so since we worked so hard getting them ready.   
He does look serious here, doesn't he?

Now, we're in Newport at the marina.   I'm about to loose the battery on my laptop so I'll post more another time.

No comments: