Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Back to the boat and about to leave Savannah

 
When I left Arkansas, my brother Phil had been moved to a different hospital where the doctors specialize in his type of cancer.   They assured him they can help feel and get better and walk again.   That was much a much better prognosis than we'd heard before.  I spent a few days in Fayetteville but had a wisdom tooth pulled so I didn't get to see anyone much except my brother and his wife - I didn't feel like it. 
 
On Thursday, a week after I'd left, I came back to Savannah and to Tom and the boat.     Tom had rented a car and we decided to keep it for the week.   On Sunday, we drove on up to Charleston.   The picture above is of a street we walked as we drove toward the waterfront.
 
 
We walked along the waterfront.   There the water is wide and deep, deep enough for sailboat races on a Sunday.
 
 
After lunch at a "bistro," we started walking back to our car.   It started raining so we took refuge up on the wide front porch of a very grand Customs House.   Across from us was cruise line ship.  
 
 
Many of the building in Charleston are very old.  Some are not restored at all and make you feel really like you are back in time when all buildings really looked this way.
 
 
 
While we were gone, we had some cushions made to replace the old saggy ones on the boat.   Here they are.     And that is the bouquet Tom brought to me when he met me at the airport - the first he's given me.    We discovered we missed each other - we weren't quite sure we would when we parted.   But we seem to be happy now that we're back with each other and have someone to rattle on to about whatever we feel like talking about.
 
 


The boat yard finally installed our new rudder




and has now completed all the other things we wanted them to do.   We have the new upholstery and the repaired dinghy motor will be delivered tomorrow.   It's time we headed on up the waterway.

We've been here about 6 weeks.   We will probably leave tomorrow or the Thursday.  I almost am hesitant to leave, feeling like a little bird being pushed out of its nest to make it on its own.    Now we have to start studying charts and tides again so we can keep ourselves out of harm's way.     I do look forward to anchoring out in a natural place again.   We'll keep  you posted on how that goes. . .

1 comment:

Mom said...

I was so happy to see your blog this a.m. I do not remember much of Charleston but I have been there. The pics show the way it is. Do be careful as you start out again. You must be special getting that beautiful bouquet! He is so glad to have you back so he can try beating you in Rummy, just kidding! Pat and I are going out today so I will be looking for your next Blog. She and I are playing a new game called "Hooked on words".you play it alone and keep trying to beat your high score. Free game on App. Love