Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Leaving and Staying



Last Friday was "First Friday" around Savannah, a night that many events are planned at different venues.    We'd  heard about a Forsythe Park, where there'd be fun restaurants and an "art walk."   We went there, walked around a block and saw little of that.   A lovely big park where lots of presumable locals come to hang out.   Very pretty and inviting.  But we wanted dinner so we headed on in to downtown and walked around 'til we found a restaurant we liked.   Nice well prepared food and fun duo for entertainment.

Then we walked on over to the river and saw this big container ship go by.   We listened (and danced a little) to an outdoors country band and enjoyed the lively scene of people and activities there.







Next day, on Saturday, we went out to a island park to eat watermelon and ended up at a boat launch at Moon River.  A very natural, clean, fresh looking place.

 
 
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a.ka. boat, on Monday, Marian started the job of painting the bottom.  He scrapped off barnacles, then sanded and applied some fairing compound (filled depressions) and tomorrow he plans to put on the first of two layers of paint. 

But I will not be here to see the rest of that process.   My brother Phil who is just younger than I am, has learned that he is severely ill with cancer.   He will be aggressively treated starting today.   So I've  booked a flight  back to northwest Arkansas where I will pick up my van (one I can live in) at another brother's where he's been storing it, and drive down to my home town.   Another brother will set up a place for me to camp just outside his house.   (I could stay there, but they and I will do better when we can come and go into our own spaces.)

I'll  be visiting Phil as I can. 

Tom may stay on the boat to be sure all is done well here.   He will probably enjoy doing just what  he wants when he wants to for a while.

I hope he'll keep you posted on any news from here in Savannah.





6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nancy, so sorry to hear about your brother, Phil. Hope his treatments are successful and tolerable. Being a 2X cancer survivor, my heart goes out to both of you. I'll be thinking of you both.

Unknown said...

Nancy, so sorry to hear about your brother, Phil. Hope his treatments are successful and tolerable. Being a 2X cancer survivor, my heart goes out to both of you. I'll be thinking of you both.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jerry. He's a cheerful, exuberant type and that may just pull him through.

Mom said...

So sorry to hear about your brother. I am glad you could take time now to visit with him. Hope his good attitude will help him!i am sure Tom will do all he can at the boat. Do you know how soon you can go back? I enjoyed your Blog and the pics! Relax and have a good visit.i will be thinking of you!

Andy Shupe said...

Oh Nancy, I am so very sorry to hear this about your brother. If there is anything that I can do, please let me know. I'll be thinking about you and wishing you and your family well.

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your caring just now. I'll visit him today and maybe know a little more.