Friday, June 28, 2013


You can tell I've really run out of material for this site when you see a picture like this.   We were having breakfast and looked around us.   Many people there had the same general body characteristics as the ones in  this picture.  I had to take a picture of Tom across from me to have an excuse to have my camera out to take this picture from under our table.

 
 


We've been staying near the boat and working on it.  Today I put the second coat of Cetol on some of the wood and gave the rest its first coat.  (It would have been 10 coats for varnish and black results from teak oil, we hear).    This should take about three coats and once a year top coat.

 
 


Mostly, we see just boats on stands being worked on around us, but if I zoom in I can make a little landscape from the marsh outside the fence and show you a green heron perched on the fallen tree.

 

As I said, boats are all around  us.   Isn't this a fancy paint job for the sailboat above?
And they're replacing the complete interior of the darker boat below.

That reminds me of a confession I can make.   We noticed that the drawer below our sink kept getting wet, but could find no leak in all the fittings.

Finally, Tom saw it, a leak in the sink itself!    Then by using flashlights above and below when it was dark, we saw that the sink is a veritable sieve.  For several nights in a row, we kept identifying
 
new leaks and I lay on my back in the galley and applied JB Weld to stop them up. 

One day we realized that we really should try to replace that sink.  Enter the boat above:  Tom and I had each had looked over a sink and faucet sitting outside Principles.   When we finally decided to mention to the marine manager that we needed one, he asked if the one beside Principles would work.  I went over and measured and "Glory Be,"  it does.     New stainless steel sinks cost upwards from $400.  They'll let us have this and the faucet.  So that was good.



They brought in this third boat yesterday.  It's huge and has obviously sailed the seven seas.  On it is a sign saying  "By order of the federal government, do not board."   We thought it surely was confiscated as some sort of drug runner shakedown (and maybe it was).   But I'm now told it's current owner just bought it at auction.    I think it is a well made boat in good condition and would have been a good buy for someone. 

Finally,  earlier some blog readers wanted to know how they could sign onto being a follower of this blog.   I had no idea.   I just lately noticed that two people were "followers."   Following that link allowed me to put something at the left top of the home page that allows readers to become followers.   Let me know if this doesn't work..

We won't be finished here for about two weeks more so there won't be much to report.  Don't give up on us.   We'll be back with new and more exciting adventures soon!





3 comments:

Mom said...

Well, I do have more news now from you! Can you take out the old sink and install the new one. Glad this is working out for you. Sounds like living in a boat is a lot of work even if you had a new one. So much to do to keep it in tip top shape. Well, soon you will be sailing along and enjoying the ride. I will keep watching for your news! We have been having some good desserts and I have been having it at lunch and dinner! When I saw that picture you took, I quick looked in the mirror and decided no more sweets for awhile, ha. Love

Unknown said...

Now, you know, Mary, that you can have all the desserts you want. You just aren't the "putting on some bulk" type. We took a dinghy ride out along the waterway this evening and got back the enthusiasm for "being there." The rest of our time here will go more quickly, I think.

Mom said...

Thanks Nancy! Glad the dinghy ride relaxed you and made you look forward to the next few days!